Sunday 4 May

When wracked with guilt – ‘Did everyone have a good time lat night?’; ‘Who did I offend by way of neglect, or lack of it?’ – there is no finer companion in drizzly afterthought than Bateman. Together we edge soggy bottoms onto damp tables outside half-closed pubs, smoking roll-ups that while needle-thin are still precision-struck by raindrops every second breath. Sanchez and Honduran Joe deliver a trickle of appreciation from last night’s attendees and this, combined with a few choice dog hairs, has me on better form by the time I meet Mimi outside Crow 2. Dempson and Izzy arrive soon after and enjoy a lengthy chat with our authoress for the very first time, quizzing her about a recent interview with the Good for Sport. I sit back with my bitter, listening to friendships form, and reflect that the world doesn’t always revolve around my good (or bad) self. Some days it’s better that way.

No comments: